BRUNSWICK — Over 140 years after the unique St. John the Baptist Church opened its doorways in Brunswick, a brand new museum honoring the numerous contributions, particular moments, and religion of generations of space Catholics can be blessed and devoted.
The brand new St. John the Baptist Historical past Museum will formally open on Sunday, July 25, with a ceremony at midday. Fr. Thomas Murphy, pastor of All Saints Parish of which St. John the Baptist is a component, will preside on the ceremony. All are welcome to attend.
The museum is within the chapel of the previous parish middle within the Nice Road complicated, subsequent to the St. John’s Group Heart, and portrays the historical past of the church and its peoples. Gadgets on show embrace vestments worn by many clergymen who’ve served on the church; altar articles and vessels like chalices, monstrances and different objects used over the many years; canopies and mementoes from particular celebrations; historic pictures; authentic window glass; and way more.
In 1877, Fr. J.H. Noiseux was assigned to Brunswick as its first resident Catholic pastor to serve the rising variety of parishioners within the space. A previously Protestant church on the nook of Federal and Franklin Streets was bought and devoted to St. John the Baptist. The parish grew steadily and in 1882, Fr. James Gorman, the brand new pastor, made plans for a bigger church, which was devoted by Bishop James A. Healy on June 24, 1886, the feast day of St. John the Baptist. The unique church turned the primary St. John Catholic Faculty. In 1892, the favored Fr. J.B. Sekenger arrived as pastor. Fr. Sekenger expanded the varsity, bought a web site for a brand new convent for the Sisters of Sion on Oak Road, and led initiatives to boost cash for church and parish enhancements. His 19-year pastorate remains to be remembered at this time as, in 2019, the 100th anniversary of the Knights of Columbus Sekenger Council #1947 in Brunswick was commemorated. In 1911, the Marist Fathers took cost of the parish on the request of Bishop Louis S. Walsh.
On April 12, 1912, a fireplace close to the railroad tracks unfold and destroyed the second church, which had been a lovely body constructing with a basement of granite and brick, facet partitions relieved by Gothic home windows together with full-length representations of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Joseph, a double lateral staircase, and a tower with a latticed belfry and delicate spire. Quickly after, the present college was constructed on its current web site and over the subsequent 15 years, Catholic providers had been carried out within the city corridor, the convent on Oak Road, and the Protestant church on Cumberland Road, whereas the superstructure of the brand new church was accomplished.
On February 27, 1927, the present St. John the Baptist Church on Nice Road was solemnly blessed. The church has lengthy been acknowledged as some of the artistically beautiful church buildings in New England due to its massive inside frescoes, stained glass home windows, and exquisite exterior, repeatedly attracting vacationers who want to take pleasure in it. Within the Seventies, the sanctuary was renovated, and the inside of the church was introduced again to its authentic brightness. On the flip of the century, a capital marketing campaign made it doable to hold out main repairs to the outside of the church comparable to repointing and changing stones in addition to roof and tower restore. The flooring had been additionally refinished, new carpeting was put in, and altars, statues, and work had been restored. A lot of the work was achieved by volunteers of the parish.
“Guests categorical their awe as they go away the church,” mentioned Fr. Murphy. “This museum will assist us develop not solely in our appreciation of the previous and current, however in our dedication to make sure this parish neighborhood continues to be strengthened in its religion of the Lord and devotion to our Blessed Mom.”
The museum can be open on the second and fourth Sundays of every month from midday to 2 p.m. and on Wednesdays from midday to three p.m. People and households can even make an appointment to tour the museum at different occasions by contacting the parish workplace at 207-725-2624.
St. John the Baptist Historical past Museum in Brunswick is simply the latest in a line of fantastic venues to watch the wealthy Catholic custom alive on the Midcoast.
The brand new Holy Redeemer Museum at Holy Redeemer Church on Mount Desert Road in Bar Harbor is open Tuesdays by Fridays at 9 a.m. and after the ten a.m. Mass on Sundays and consists of liturgical objects courting again to the 16th century.
The St. Patrick Church Museum on Academy Hill Highway in Newcastle affords artifacts reflecting the historical past of the oldest lively Catholic church in New England. The museum features a cradle utilized by Newcastle native Edward Kavanagh, a U.S. Congressman (1831-1835) and the 17th Governor of Maine; objects used within the early 19th century; and correspondence belonging to Bishop Cheverus, the primary bishop of Boston. The church is house to important artifacts itself just like the altar of Bishop Cheverus and a bell forged by Paul Revere & Sons. For up to date museum hours of operation in Newcastle, name 207-563-3240.