1870-2020: A brand new e-book chronicles the historical past of Aughawillan parish, it is church and other people
This weekend the individuals of Aughawillan will rejoice the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of St Patrick’s Church.
The occasion which needed to be cancelled final yr and stays low key this yr attributable to Covid restrictions will see a particular Sesquicentennial mass celebrated with Monsignor Liam Kelly (native of Aughawillan) and native monks on Sunday, June 6 adopted by the launch of the spectacular and encapsulating historical past e-book of the parish written by Des Quinn.
St Patrick’s Church underwent some renovations final yr to mark the milestone which included the positioning of a brand new marble Reredos within the sanctuary, which additionally serves as a brand new dwelling for the tabernacle, restoration of gorgeous stained glass window depicting St Patrick (pictured on left) and the portray of the inside and exterior of the church. Des Quinn was delighted to say the renovations had been funded by parishioners from at dwelling and overseas and can be paid in full by the top of this yr. He stated the individuals of Aughawillan are “very beneficiant.”
The 208 web page e-book is a tremendous treasure trove of spiritual, social and chronological historical past of Aughawillan parish.
The e-book consists of loads of pictures (228), outdated and new and will definitely achieve extra value because the years go on as an historic useful resource.
Des Quinn spent most of 2020 researching and writing the e-book with assist from many others.
Aughawillan within the Catholic Parish of Drumreilly Decrease together with Corraleehan has been merged with Corlough in Co Cavan beforehand and is now merged with Ballinamore’s Oughteragh.
The oldest surviving church of the outdated parish is a medieval wreck situated on Church Island at Garadice Lake.
The medieval parish church of Drumreilly which included Aughawillan was located in Cully overlooking Garadice Lake. No ruins survive, nonetheless carved stone heads constructed into the partitions of the present Church of Eire on the identical web site are indicative of the sooner church.
Larkin’s 1818 map confirms a chapel in Aughawillan. Sources present there was an older church (c.1830) on the present web site in Aughawillan however a brand new church was inbuilt 1870.
Des Quinn stated the church was constructed on the townland of Aughawillan and so the college, soccer membership and corridor had been named after the church. The primary baptism was recorded in Drumreilly Decrease in 1867.
Aughawillan Church after it was devoted in October 1952 Image from Mary Smith
The e-book makes use of many sources together with the Leitrim Observer and notes dances, bazaars, events and the impact of nationwide occasions on the parish.
There aren’t any identified pictures of the inside church previous to 1952, Des Quinn explains “there was a reluctance to take photographs inside any church earlier than that.”
The church was renovated in 1952, and a brand new belfry was constructed. A brand new neighborhood centre was inbuilt 1984 and the church was once more renovated in 2000.
In fact Aughawillan males’s and women’ GAA groups get an vital point out in addition to Aughawillan Drama and different teams.
All of the previous monks of the parish and all monks and nuns from Aughawillan are pictured. Additionally curiously all graves at Aughawillan cemeteries are mapped and listed- a implausible useful resource for households.
The e-book can be obtainable in native outlets from subsequent week and might be bought from Mulvey’s in Carrick on-line in addition to instore. The hardback is priced at €15 and the tender cowl is €10.
It’s a fantastic report of the previous 150 years of Aughawillan church, the parish and it is “by no means say die” individuals.