Yesterday a really imposing non secular ceremony came about within the lovely church of Kilcullen, county Kildare. This was the dedication of a brand new aspect altar within the church of St Brigid. The altar is the reward of a beneficiant resident within the locality.
The altar is of Portland and Caen stone, skilfully coated with pure and standard flowers, each consideration being paid to element. It contains in its construction a reredos and frontal piece, and is sort of consistent with the gorgeous edifice through which is erected. Messrs O’Neil, of Nice Brunswick Avenue, had been entrusted with the work, which is in all respects admirably executed.
The church itself is within the early Gothic type, and was designed by the late Mr. McCarthy, who additionally designed the excessive altar which is an beautiful piece of workmanship. The design for this additionally executed by Messrs O’Neill. The reredos is fantastically carved, the collectible figurines being delicately traced, whereas the ornamentation on the frontal stone is labored out with a lot care and end.
At half-past eleven Excessive Mass was celebrated. After the primary Gospel the very Rev PJ Tynan, DD, preached an eloquent and spectacular sermon. After Mass there was a procession of the Blessed Sacrament, which was adopted by the Forty Hours Adoration. An immense congregation assisted on the sacred ceremonies with unedifying devotion.
The esteemed pastor, the Rev Mr. Langan, and his zealous assistants have ample causes to be pleased with the real Catholic spirit evinced by the individuals of Kilcullen.
— Freeman’s Journal 01.10.1883.
(Credit score to Dave Byrne, who trawled by the outdated newspapers to seek out stories about Kilcullen.)